Arconas is the leading manufacturer and distributor of high-performance furniture for airports and passenger terminals in North America. Established in 1972 and based in Mississauga, we are dedicated to enhancing the passenger experience with our comprehensive suite of seating, power, waste, recycling, and counter solutions.
We have more than 400 installations in airports throughout the world, as well as transportation and cruise terminals, government offices, courthouses, healthcare centres, universities, and other public spaces.
We are a privately-owned company that has earned recognition as one of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies since 2013.
We are now on a determined path to growth leading to great opportunities for personal and career growth. We are looking for a visionary and leader to become our Research and Development Manager.
The Research and Development Manager will lead the engineering team in the research, design, and development of new products or customization of existing products, along with the responsibility for the continuous improvement of the existing product lines and, providing technical support to internal and external clients.
Candidates must possess a valid Ontario Society of Professional Engineers designation, in order to be considered.
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead and direct a team of mechanical and electrical engineers and technicians.
- Create tool/mould design as per customer’s specifications/concepts/guidelines, using SolidWorks CAD system
- Deliver designs within agreed deadlines and with high accuracy.
- Develop different options for product design and provide suggestions to improve the product and/or resolve problems related to product design.
- Coordinate with other Design team members and vendors to troubleshoot and resolve design issues.
- Supervise the preparation of designs and drawings for manufacturing.
- Liaise with Sales, Manufacturing, and the end customer to ensure specifications are interpreted correctly for quotation purposes.
- Determine best engineering/design practices and communicate with peers.
- Identify industry advances within engineering/manufacturing and other areas of technical innovation
- Write reports to provide an overview of new product development projects and how the SR&ED criteria is being met
- Other duties, as assigned by management
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering, Mechanical, Industrial, or Electromechanical, with a PEng. designation
- 6+ years of experience
- 2+ years of experience with Canada’s SR&ED tax credit program is preferred
- Experience in mould design with a CAD modeling system like SolidWorks, Solid Edge, or CATIA
- Above average competency in designing, SolidWorks modeling, and manufacturing knowledge
- Knowledge of quality management systems, ISO
- Prior leadership, mentoring, and project management experience
- Experience managing a team of technical staff
- Above-average knowledge of a diverse range of manufacturing materials
- Experience in a related manufacturing environment that involves metal, wood, and aluminum.
- Ability to read engineering drawings and interpret customer specifications
- Creative thinking and a good imagination to make a superior product.
- Ability to communicate effectively in small to medium groups of diverse backgrounds as well as effective communication with various levels of management.
- Willing to learn new manufacturing and environmental aspects/accreditation, i.e., BIFMA, LEED, etc.
- Ability to work autonomously.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Working in an office environment or having a home office set up with appropriate internet connections to work efficiently
- Occasional plant environment work
- Electrical laboratory environment
- Dynamic, interactive, fast-paced growth environment
- Travel may be required, both domestically and internationally
- Ordinary office setting physical demands, sitting, and working on a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
Arconas welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please forward your Resume and cover letter in a PDF format.